Friday, September 5, 2008

My Diet....



So a lot of you blog readers and my friends have been asking me, "So how is that gluten-free diet of yours going?!" So I thought I might go ahead and post my feelings on it since my blog is also sort of a journal for me. For those of you who don't know, back in February I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. After a year of battling lots of symptoms, I began researching and figured out that I needed to be tested for this, and the test came back postitive meaning I needed to go on (and stay on) a gluten free diet for me to feel much better and let my intestines heal.

Here it is September and I am about to embark on my first gluten free HOLIDAY journey. Yes, I plan on sticking to my gluten free diet religiously! But first I need to back track a bit and tell you why i plan on sticking to my gluten free diet....
A couple of weeks ago, I got so fed up with still reading labels and having to cook EVERYTHING I ate, I went off of my diet for a whole week. I know what you are thinking, "What?! why would she do that to herself!!!" To be plain honest, I just missed gluten so much and I was sort of going throught this weird depression about not being able to eat just what i wanted! Remember, I am also allergic to like everything, nuts, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, (ANY kind of nut) and sesame seeds. also lately I found out I am also starting to be allergic to tomatoes and pineapple!!!! so you see the list of foods i can eat is just dwindling down and dwindling down..... I missed pizza and bread and pasta and real cereal that didn't taste like styrofoam, and doghnuts and croutons and being able to eat out without the frustrations and worries! I missed not being able to just grab something in a pinch for myself when the kids needed my full attention- like a granola bar, or goldfish or pretzels! I got to eat with abandon for a whole week, but.... it came with a huge price! I was okay the first few days, but by day 4 it was horrible. I couldn't stand it anymore!!!! So back on the gluten free diet I went.


WHEW~ I will NEVER do that again. To put it lightly, I was MISERABLE for a 2 whole weeks after that!!!! I was a solid itchy hive from head to toe, my stomache ached endlessly, I had terrible gas, bloating, diarrhea, and I felt like I was on the first day of a cold for 2 whole weeks. I also had a full blown lymphatic system response! my glands were swollen, i had 5 mouth sores, 2 fever blisters, and swollen lymph nodes here and there!!! I guess since I have not had gluten in so long, me just "blowing it" really hurt my system. Now I remember why I will not, shall not, EVER eat gluten purposefully again!

But I can't just leave you with the negatives. So I shall share some of the positives. I have never eaten so healthy in all my life!!!! Eating gluten free has forced me to be super good at reading food labels (praise the Lord for google! HA!!!), and I am learning that foods in their rawest form are best for you anyway. I eat a ton of salads full of veggies and powerhouse foods like broccoli srouts, avacados, raw sunflower seeds, carrots, orange/yellow bell peppers and whatever else i have in the fridge and need to use!! I eat lots of fruits and veggies, and beans and brown rice. but don't feel to sorry for me, I do go to Whole Foods market about once a month and spend around $70 dollars on my freezer foods like biscuits, waffles, corn bread, gluten free flours, baking mix, gluten free pastas and such! but it is soooo expensive, I try to make it last (which is why i stick to freezer goods). Also, I am finding out that i love foods that I would have never even tried, like turnip greens, brussels sprouts, artichokes, squash, and asparagus!!! I have several gluten free cookbooks that have been AWESOME and I usually attempt a new recipe about once every week or two. I have also maintained a healthy weight much more easily in the last 7 months or so(as my mom says, well I guess so if you can't eat any bread!!!) So I will leave you with, I am doing well on my gluten free diet, and I will never again have a cheatin' heart!!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this transition has been difficult for you, Lindy...but I admire you so much for taking care of yourself! Keep on keeping on! :-)

Morgan Holt said...

You look great and I know you feel better now that you are on your "diet". You should be so proud of yourself for sticking with it. Continue taking care of yourself!

Dr Jen said...

I was wondering what those consequences would be...but good for you for all the healthy things you do for yourself. You're my role model!

sonyagraykey said...

You look super-wonderful, Lindy. I'm happy for you to feel so much better, too. I thought about you (& your tummy) recently. I was diagnosed with an H.Pylori infection a few months after Zora was born & before I started my meds, I had a total of 3 different episodes of throwing up/loose stool lasting from 1-11 (yes, 11) days. It was misery. I tried alternative meds before giving over to the real deal (bc I'm still nursing Z. a lot & didn't want to give her meds via me), but as happens sometimes in a mommy's life, I have to do what's best for me, too. You are an inspiration in doing what's best for you!

theruples said...

You look great! Way to go Lindy! You're not kidding about healthy raw foods - we should all eat like they did in the old days. I know that has got to be tough not being able to grab something whenever the kids are screaming for their food and you just need a snack to keep you going. Keep it up - you're doing great!

Kevin and Laura said...

Ms. Carr I didn't know you were cheating. Naughty girl..I can't imagine how hard it is to stick to that diet...but please don't do that to your yourself again!