Thursday, January 22, 2009

Our new president

First of all, I am NOT a very political person. In fact, I will openly admit, that this is the first year that I have ever voted. I have always heard growing up that democrats give everything away!!! But I decided to hear out both sides. I listened this year to a lot of the campaigns/claims/ads, and made my choice. I voted for McCain. I felt he had more experience, and wouldn't tax me to death :0)

After watching some of the inaugeration, and most of the commentators in the "post-inaugeration" where they analyze everything from what our president's wife was wearing to the tone of voice our president used, I had some mixed emotions.
I think, that Barack Obama is a very educated man, and I think he has read about all of the things that McCain has experienced. It makes me nervous to think about Obama's lack of experience, but then I am grateful for our country's checks and balances system.

I was very glad to see that some of the emails i received weren't true, such as yes Obama DID put his hand over his heart during the pledge of allegience and the national anthem. He even sang along and knew all of the words....

I also feel that our president being african-american was completely blown out of proportion. He is half white you know... I think it is important to recognize this as a part of history, but leave it at that. The irish catholic americans didn't claim "their huge minorty victory" card when JFK was elected. Yes, he was our first catholic president, and irish to boot. It seems that suddenly african americans are exclaiming, "finally, we really are free!" Ummm.... okay. The same rules and laws still apply.
I loved how Obama (who is a democrat no less) inspired americans of every race, religion, and orientation to get back to the values that this country was founded on- (back to God hopefully?!) and that the american dream is available for everyone, but you have to work for it, and "unclench your fist to accept it."
Obama is saying that it is time to get back to work, we will make it better, but you have to do your end of the bargain by working hard and loving your neighbors.
Obama has a lot of cleaning up to do, and has his work cut out for him. I urge you, and challenge you to support and pray that this man can lead our country and get us back on track not as a black man, but as an AMERICAN man.

4 comments:

Morgan Holt said...

Well said!

Sussey's Story said...

So true! We all have to come together to make this Presidency work. No matter what color our skin is, our gender, our religion, we as the People of the United States have to stand up and make it work, no matter who you voted for! As they say in Washington "Cross the aisle and agree to disagree but work together to make this country what it should be"

Shannon said...

I'm with you!

sonyagraykey said...

While I do agree with a lot of what you said about the new prez, I will say that I have always read & understood that there was a great deal of fear generated among the protestant nation that JFK would create some Catholic nation if elected. I think there was some uproar going on prior to his election like that created pre-Obama election. I actually think it's a good comparison. I'll ask my Historian hubby more about it tonight, though, bc I want to understand as clearly as possible...and bc we seem to have such different understandings of that particular climate. Also, I think that the economy has played such a huge role in the fervor of pres O's success. If minorities see Obama's victory as their victory, and thereby understand his call for them (and all of us) to work (together), get educated, pull one another out of poverty, etc, then so be it. We are yet to be a nation free & equal. One only has to work in a shelter for a little while or rub shoulders with some inner-city kids at an after school program (both of which I've done) to see that dangerous cycles repeat themselves unless those children are given greater opportunities than their parents. And yes, sometimes race plays a role. But your point about joining together & praying is so true. We do need to pray for our leaders.