Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I heart Salads....



So I absolutely love salads, so I thought I would post why. Besides being gluten-free, a salad is a quick and easy meal for me that packs an awesome nutrional punch in my day. You can add vitamins A and C, folate, zinc, and iron among other things!!!There are so many possible variations, you really can't go wrong! I used to use Iceberg lettuce, but since it has almost ZERO nutritional value, I have slowly switched to the darker, leafier version over the years. A couple of months ago, I served trav a salad for dinner and he looked up at me with raised eyebrows and said, "honey, if you wanted leaves that looked like this, let's save money and I'll grab you some from the back yard!" hee hee, silly boy :0)
I actually love the bitter red leaf, radiccio, boston red leaf, and the dark green romaine variations. I always try to add a ton of good ole' veggies (and or grilled chicken/shrimp) in any sort of combo depending on what I have on hand. Some of my favorite examples include: carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, avacado, cucumbers, red/orange/yellow bell peppers, broccoli/bean sprouts and spinach. Sometimes i will go really crazy and add fruit, like blueberries, strawberries or mandarin oranges. If you use fruits, I like the sweeter dressings such as Brianna's poppy seed. DELISH!!!
If you are trying to count calories, I would stay away from things like cheese, ham, boiled eggs (or just the yoke, the white part is okay), croutons, or bacon bits. these ingredients not only add a ton of calories (especially if combined) but you are more likely to get msg's or preservatives, things we can all do without!
If you want a lower calorie option, go for some lighter dressings... BUT I must warn you, often lighter versions may have more sugar/salt or preservatives. Also, there has been some recent research that states "light" foods may leave you hungry for more, and make you more likely to binge on something else later! (go figure) I suggest choosing regular dressings in moderation. The fewer ingredients, the better. I use Marzetti's Ranch dressing, and when I eat a good salad with this on it, I can go all afternoon without feeling hungry!
Happy Salad eating!!!

1 comment:

sonyagraykey said...

I couldn't agree more! My boys are now big salad eaters, too, but I have heard the EXACT same comment from Barclay about harvesting some greens from our yard! (It sounds like Sam to Bonnie! :)