Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A love/hate relationship....

With Running.

I know I have posted a ton lately, so don't get used to it! :0) I wanted to record some thoughts about my favorite past-time for journaling purposes.

So I have started back up again with running. I started when Isabel was about 5 weeks old, and have been chipping away at it since then. I wish sometimes that runner's world magazing would do a feature on that first "post-partum" run. Hmmmm.... maybe I should send one in!!! LOL Just kidding!
I remember when i first started running after I had Logan, I ran for 3 minutes, and was beet faced and gasping for air. I mentally prepared myself for a repeat of that performance 5 weeks after my sweet baby girl was born. I told Travis I was heading for the treadmill, and he says to me, "Are you gonna come home crying?" I said "well, I might!" Travis knows me well and knows how much I don't like being out of shape. He reminded me that I should take it easy and to remember to start slowly so I wouldn't injure myself.
I went and did pretty good for me. I remember thinking 3 minutes in to it, jogging at a 12 min per mile pace, "why do I do this again?!" I actually hated it at that point. and did for quite a few runs after that. That is because I knew I was 20 pounds heavier than usual, my knees wouldn't like that one bit, and my feet were going to have to get "broken in" again. I know the pushing and straining it is going to take to get it all back- to be able to run for 30 minutes effortlessly. I am doing a walk/run program so my shins can adjust. My shins hate it when I add to much mileage to soon and usually punish me with shin splints if I don't take it easy at first.
I would say after about 7 weeks of glorified jogging, I am running about 80% and walking 20% of my distance/time. I am not running at a very fast pace, but I am adding some mileage, and that is my goal for now. ENDURANCE. Speed will come later. I come home with endless amounts of energy, and feel like all of my stress stays out on the pavement where I left it. Let's face it, as a mom of 3, my stress sometimes comes in tidal waves! But now that I am in better shape, my runs are more good than bad, and I love it most of the time. I reconnect with God, listen to some new music other than baby einstein or dora, or I just take time for me. It is what keeps me healthy during flu season, and keeps me sane so I can be a good wife and mommy. So when I have a difficult run, or my legs feel like lead weights, I remember all the good things I love about running... and push on.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

good for you!!!

Unknown said...

Way to release those endorphins!!

I can't believe Julie's hair! Did you blow dry it or did it dry straight? Either way, I'm about to cry too seeing her with out the baby curls. But she looks precious and her hair was REALLY long...some changes are just harder for a mom to swallow right?

Margo sent home her phone number with Landon and he asked me yesterday when he was bored if he could call her....I was like no way am I ready for that! (and i don't think her parents would be thrilled either especially since we've never met!!!!!!!)

becky said...

Keep it up!! I am super impressed you are already back to it and you have 3 children. Way to go!!!!!!!