Tuesday, May 20, 2008

To my first pair of running shoes.....



Okay, so since I (Lindy) am the author of this blog... I had to dedicate one post to my first running shoes.

When Logan turned 2 months old, I decided I needed to get back into shape (yes, I gained loooots of weight during that pregnancy). I also felt like I needed to do something for ME instead of being a portable milk jug for my baby, and a personal baby wipe for my 2 year old. Running sounded like a fun challenge.

But then it wasn't at first...

Because it was January and freezing outside, I ventured out to the gym. I tried running on the treadmill and about passed out after 3 minutes. I mean like my face was beet red, sweat pouring, gasping for breath, about to pass out. I felt discouraged. So I decided to research. Shoes seemed like the best place to start. I knew my shoes were old, and I needed some good quality ones. After researching in runner's world magazines and their awesome website, I figured out that I was an over-pronator, and needed lots of arch support. So I set out to get my first pair of REAL running shoes. the ASICS GEL KEYANO. I will never forget the trepidation I felt as I handed the guy behind the counter my debit card. $130 bucks was a lot to spend on a tight budget, and I left the store feeling dread about my new investment. My committment to being a runner became solid that day. After several months on the treadmill, I decided to try outside running, and loved it even better. (treadmills can only go so far....). Running became my time. No one else could go out and do it for me. I started praying and meditating during my runs. Usually after the first mile, I could feel the tension easing out of my body and slipping into the concrete. After a long courtship, I fell in love, and my shoes were there to capture every second!!!

When I look back at Logan's firs summer, I think about my running. These shoes and running pushed me through one of the most difficult seasons of my life. Dealing with depression, 2 very small children, a struggling marraige, weird symptoms leading to celiac, and adjusting to life as a full time mom was too much for me. God, family, my children and running got me through. These shoes were there with me on my 5:30 a.m. runs. They were there for my 8 p.m. runs after my children went to bed. They were helping me pound out my stress and frustrations. They helped pave the way to a healthier, more emotionally stable ME.

These shoes were there the first time I ran for one hour straight (without stopping). They felt my fear in my first 5K race(32:10), and my exhilaration in my second 5K race(31:15). When I went this past fall to get my new running shoes, the guy helping me scolded me for not getting a new pair sooner, they were really worn down!!! I smiled and said, "well, they have a lot of history." He smiled and nodded his understanding. I will never throw these shoes out, and they stay at the bottom of my closet in plain view. They serve as a reminder that i can push through just about anything and that hard work does pay off. I sort of feel like they should be dipped in bronze for all that they have been through! so here's to my shoes....

7 comments:

Thompson Family said...

YEAH for awesome running shoes. I am so proud of your accomplishments in your running career. I love to run and I am just itching to start training for my next marathon. I need to wait until Shawn is a year old for nursing purposes. I know you can relate! Love you, Kris

Anonymous said...

I never thought I would get tears in my eyes reading a post about a pair of shoes.

How special, Lindy!

madelynmom said...

wow...thank you for your honesty...that was so inspiring to hear! It helps me to remeber we have to do something for ourselves as moms or will we get lost in a sea of dishes and diapers! it has been one of those weeks so thank you for sharing. Heather

Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

totally didn't know you had a blog!!! found it on the staples site. glad to see you here. ;) -AE

Caroline said...

Thank you so much for posting that! I so appreciate your honesty (read my most recent post). I am also an excessive overpronator (about to have my 4th knee surgery because of it). I have to buy "special shoes"- the brooks ariel, and I totally understand the pain of paying $130 for shoes, but they are totally worth it! Especially when you can avoid years of damage to your knees! Keep with it, friend! And I am jealous you love brussel sprouts! :)

theruples said...

I'm with you Lindy - It pains me to spend that much on a pair of shoes as well. I'm the girl who goes to the thrift shop to buy anything! But it's definitely worth the extra money for those. I'm so proud of you for sticking with the running. I said I would run after Jack was born... then I said I would run after he started sleeping through the night - well, he's already doing that and I'm trying to think of another excuse :) Your post is inspiring me to start again. Love ya! - April

Matt, Nikki & Ashtyn said...

Hey Lindy...wow, I haven't talked to you in so long, but you sure did bring tears to my eyes after your post! It is such an inspiration to me. I am just now learning how to be a full time mom and it's not easy! :) Your kids are gorgeous. Tell Travis "hi" from us!